Monday, June 22, 2015

The Burgundy Collection

If you've been reading for a while, you know that I have this blog to force myself to write. It makes me accountable for at least three poems a week. In addition to that, I write whenever I get an idea, so I carry a thin notebook with me almost everywhere I go. When I fill up a book, I write a poem about it. This one had a burgundy spine, and it's a little shorter than normal - but that's kind of how these four months felt. Enjoy!

One more book
One more binding
Of pages and pages and pages

And scribbled out thoughts -
Sometimes half empty,
Sometimes so full they're too heavy
To move off these sheets.

Pouring and pouring,
If you didn't count the repeats
Have I built a dictionary?

One made with
different inks and depths

And scribbled out,
Heart-felt and handwritten.

It's lacking definition
So maybe I've just
Scrawled a book

Three messy,
Inked up,
Strong and personal,
Books.

Goodbye burgundy,
You've been good.

6/10/2015
Riley Welch

No comments:

Post a Comment