Wednesday, October 18, 2017

After a long week of feeling both mentally and physically exhausted, I will resume poetry posting on Saturday. 

The last few days I've been attending a conference for all AmeriCorps members in the state of Colorado. I greatly enjoyed the content of my two days in Denver, but often left the presentations feeling tired and unable to turn off the thoughts in my head. Usually this is good for my writing, but I found this time it was not. There are many benefits to the non-profit sector -- mainly that you get to participate in meaningful work. But occasionally, thinking of all the need present within our communities, outside of our communities and in the world leaves me depleted.

When you look at the big picture, it can sometimes feel like there is always more that can be done, and never enough people to do it. And that just you as one person can only have so much impact. 

---

Even with that, this week sparked many productive conversations with my friends, my fellow AmeriCorps members and my loved ones about ways we can better our own small piece of this world. Whether it is through direct service and action, difficult conversations, education or just being a little bit nicer, bettering your slice of the pie will sometimes be all you can do. 

I know this isn't poetic, but I felt I needed to express this feeling, and because I have had a few days without content, I thought this would be the best place for it. 

I know that everyone makes an impact on their world in some way and I don't need reassurance that I do, I simply had to turn thoughts into something more tangible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment